Alison has been food editor for Waitrose for more than 16 years, she also edited Share: The Cookbook
Alison Oakervee's roast beef & vegetables with Yorkshire puds
- Preparation time: 15 minutes + resting
- Cooking time: 70 minutes
- Total time: 1 hour 25 minutes + resting
½ tbsp organic sunflower oil
2 tbsp Waitrose Duchy Organic Wholegrain Mustard With Honey
600g Waitrose Duchy Organic British Beef Roasting Joint
2 Waitrose Duchy Organic Red Onions, cut into wedges
2 sticks Waitrose Duchy Organic Celery, quartered
4 Waitrose Duchy Organic Carrots, peeled and halved lengthways
8 cloves Waitrose Duchy Organic Garlic, unpeeled
250ml organic red wine
FOR THE YORKSHIRE PUDDINGS
100g Waitrose Duchy Organic Plain White Flour
1 medium Waitrose Duchy Organic British Free Range Egg, beaten
250ml Waitrose Duchy Organic Whole Milk
8 tsp organic sunflower oil
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C, gas mark 4. Mix the oil and mustard together and rub over the beef. Place into a large roasting tin and scatter the vegetables and garlic around the meat, then pour over the wine. Season. Roast for 45-50 minutes for rare or until cooked to your liking, turning the vegetables halfway through.
2. Meanwhile, make the Yorkshire pudding batter. Sieve the flour and a pinch of salt into a mixing bowl. Make a well in the centre, add the egg and whisk, together with the milk, to form a thick, smooth batter. Cover and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
3. About 5 minutes before the beef is cooked, divide the oil between 8 holes of a 12-hole muffin tin. Place into the oven for 5 minutes. When the beef is cooked, remove from the oven and cover the tin with foil. Leave to rest in a warm place for 20 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, remove the muffin tin and increase the oven temperature to 220°C, gas mark 7. Divide the batter between the oil-filled holes and bake the puddings for 20 minutes or until golden and risen. Carve the beef and serve with the vegetables, cooking juices and Yorkshire puds.