I have fond memories of my mum’s french toast, usually made on a campsite in France, and smothered with jam.
Amaretti french toast, peaches and mascarpone
60g caster sugar
130ml whole milk
70ml double cream
pinch freshly grated nutmeg
pinch ground cinnamon
50g unsalted butter
4 thick slices brioche
icing sugar, for dusting
4 tbsp mascarpone
4 amaretti biscuits, crushed
4 peaches (or 8 apricots), halved and stoned
50g caster sugar
25ml amaretto liqueur
1. Preheat the oven to 200 ̊C, gas mark 6. For the peaches, mix the ingredients together on a baking tray and bake for 15-20 minutes.
2. Whisk the eggs with the sugar until the sugar has dissolved. Add the milk, cream and spices, whisking to combine.
3. Heat the butter in a wide, heavy-based frying pan. Dip the brioche slices in the egg mixture, then lay them in the hot butter. Cook for 3 minutes, until golden, then turn over and cook for another 3 minutes.
4. Halve the brioche slices diagonally and set on plates. Dust with a little icing sugar, spoon over the peaches and dollops of mascarpone, and crumble over some amaretti biscuits before serving.
- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Cooking time: 20 minutes
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 8 ratings