I have fond memories of my mum’s french toast, usually made on a campsite in France, and smothered with jam.
Amaretti french toast, peaches and mascarpone
- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Cooking time: 20 minutes
60g caster sugar
130ml whole milk
70ml double cream
pinch freshly grated nutmeg
pinch ground cinnamon
50g unsalted butter
4 thick slices brioche
icing sugar, for dusting
4 tbsp mascarpone
4 amaretti biscuits, crushed
4 peaches (or 8 apricots), halved and stoned
50g caster sugar
25ml amaretto liqueur
1. Preheat the oven to 200 ̊C, gas mark 6. For the peaches, mix the ingredients together on a baking tray and bake for 15-20 minutes.
2. Whisk the eggs with the sugar until the sugar has dissolved. Add the milk, cream and spices, whisking to combine.
3. Heat the butter in a wide, heavy-based frying pan. Dip the brioche slices in the egg mixture, then lay them in the hot butter. Cook for 3 minutes, until golden, then turn over and cook for another 3 minutes.
4. Halve the brioche slices diagonally and set on plates. Dust with a little icing sugar, spoon over the peaches and dollops of mascarpone, and crumble over some amaretti biscuits before serving.