New potatoes are at their best now. They’re delicious simply boiled and served with some Anglesey sea salt and a little olive oil or butter, but this recipe takes things to the next level.
Anna Jones' new potatoes with lemon cashew aioli and pickled red onions
1kg new potatoes (such as Jersey royal), halved if large
1 red onion, very finely sliced
1 tsp honey
2 lemons, juice
100g cashews, soaked in cold water for 1-2 hours
1 small garlic clove, crushed
2 tbsp olive oil
small handful dill, leaves picked
small handful flat leaf parsley, leaves picked
1. Put the potatoes into a deep pan, cover with cold water and add a pinch of sea salt. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 10-15 minutes, depending on their size, until tender. Meanwhile, put the onion in a small bowl with the honey, juice of 1 lemon and a pinch of salt.
2. Drain the cashews and put in a blender with the garlic, juice of the remaining lemon and 100ml cold water. Season and blitz until smooth; this will take a few minutes. Add a little more water if needed; it should be the consistency of a thin mayonnaise.
3. Once the potatoes are cooked, drain and leave them to steam-dry for 2-3 minutes. Scatter onto a platter, breaking them up as you go. Season and drizzle over the oil. Top with the onion and aioli, then toss well and finish with a scattering of the herbs.
This recipe first appeared in Waitrose Kitchen magazine. myWaitrose members can download the Waitrose Kitchen app edition for FREE. Find out more
- Preparation time: 15 minutes, plus 1-2 hours soaking
- Cooking time: 25 minutes
- Total time: 40 minutes, plus 1-2 hours soaking
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 0 ratings
This recipe was first published in Mon Jun 01 15:01:00 BST 2015.