New potatoes are at their best now. They’re delicious simply boiled and served with some Anglesey sea salt and a little olive oil or butter, but this recipe takes things to the next level.
Anna Jones' new potatoes with lemon cashew aioli and pickled red onions
- Preparation time: 15 minutes, plus 1-2 hours soaking
- Cooking time: 25 minutes
- Total time: 40 minutes, plus 1-2 hours soaking
1kg new potatoes (such as Jersey royal), halved if large
1 red onion, very finely sliced
1 tsp honey
2 lemons, juice
100g cashews, soaked in cold water for 1-2 hours
1 small garlic clove, crushed
2 tbsp olive oil
small handful dill, leaves picked
small handful flat leaf parsley, leaves picked
1. Put the potatoes into a deep pan, cover with cold water and add a pinch of sea salt. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 10-15 minutes, depending on their size, until tender. Meanwhile, put the onion in a small bowl with the honey, juice of 1 lemon and a pinch of salt.
2. Drain the cashews and put in a blender with the garlic, juice of the remaining lemon and 100ml cold water. Season and blitz until smooth; this will take a few minutes. Add a little more water if needed; it should be the consistency of a thin mayonnaise.
3. Once the potatoes are cooked, drain and leave them to steam-dry for 2-3 minutes. Scatter onto a platter, breaking them up as you go. Season and drizzle over the oil. Top with the onion and aioli, then toss well and finish with a scattering of the herbs.