- 200g Cooks’ Ingredients crystallised stem ginger, cut into pea-sized pieces
- 250g Cooks’ Ingredients white marzipan
- 200g essential Waitrose butter
- 300g light brown muscovado sugar
- 3 large eggs, 1 beaten
- 25g fresh root ginger, grated
- 200g Waitrose self-raising flour
- 1 cooking apple, peeled, cored and grated
Apple and ginger simnel cake
- Preheat the oven to 170C, gas mark 3. Line a 20cm round, loose-bottom cake tin with baking parchment
- Melt the butter in a pan and stir in the sugar. Allow to cool slightly, then beat in 2 eggs and the root ginger. Stir in the flour, then the apple and crystallised ginger.
- Turn the mixture into the tin, put this on a baking sheet, then bake in the oven for 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes (cover with baking parchment if it is browning too quickly). When it’s cooked, a skewer will come out with a few moist crumbs on it.
- Heat the grill. Roll out 200g marzipan to make a 20cm circle. Add the trimmings to the remaining 50g marzipan and shape into 11 marble-sized balls. Lay the circle of marzipan on top of the cake, and brush with some beaten egg. Arrange the marzipan balls around the edge and brush with more egg. Grill the cake until the marzipan is patched with golden brown. Leave to cool in the tin.
Keep fresh ginger in a bag in the
freezer instead of in the fridge.
It’s easy to grate just what you need
then return it to the freezer.
- Preparation time: 35 minutes
- Cooking time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Total time: 1 hour 50 minutes
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 19 ratings
This recipe was first published in April 2010.