- 900g cooking apples
- 6 tbsp soft light brown sugar
- 175g plain flour
- 100g cold butter, cubed
- Preheat the oven 200°C/gas mark 6.
- Peel, core and roughly chop the apples. Put into a pan with 4 tbsp sugar and 50ml water. Cook on a medium heat until starting to soften - about 10 minutes. Transfer to a 900ml-capacity baking dish.
- Sift the flour, add the butter and rub in with fingertips until the mix resembles crumbs. Stir in 1 tbsp sugar. Tip over the apples, sprinkle with 1 tbsp sugar and bake for 35-40 minutes. Serve with cream.
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 40 minutes
- Total time: 55 minutes
Average user rating Based on 96 ratings
This recipe was first published in September 2003.