The yoghurt produces a cake that’s both moist and quite dense in texture – it’s great as a teatime snack or you could serve it as a dessert with a little cream or more yoghurt.
Apricot & yoghurt loaf cake
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 50 minutes to 55 minutes
- Total time: 1 hour to 1 hour 5 minutes
75ml sunflower oil
150g The Collective Straight Up Yoghurt
150g golden caster sugar
2 Waitrose British Blacktail Free Range Eggs, large
1 tsp vanilla extract
210g plain flour
1½ tsp baking powder
dried apricots, chopped
75g icing sugar
1-2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp pistachio nuts, chopped (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C, gas mark 4. Grease a 900g loaf tin and line the base with baking parchment.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the oil, yoghurt, caster sugar, eggs and vanilla extract. Gently stir in the flour, baking powder and apricots to make a thick batter.
3. Pour the batter into the loaf tin and bake for 50–55 minutes, or until a small knife inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean. Allow to cool slightly before removing from the tin and then leave to cool completely on a wire rack.
4. Mix together the icing sugar and enough lemon juice to make a thick icing. Drizzle this over the cake, scatter over the pistachios (if using), then slice and serve.