Yes, you can cook avocado! Griddling the flesh for just a minute gives it a lovely smoky flavour.
Griddled turkey and avocado salad
- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Cooking time: 40 minutes
- Total time: 1 hour
• 600g sweet potatoes, cut into wedges
• 2 tbsp olive oil
• 1 tsp sweet smoked paprika
• 1 sweetcorn on the cob
• bunch salad onions, trimmed and halved
• 5 tbsp Greek yogurt
• 1 lime
• 1 tsp Tabasco, plus more to taste
• 1 firm but ripe avocado, cut into 1cm slices
• 440g quick cook turkey breast steaks
• 130g bag watercress, rocket and spinach salad
• 1 jalapeno chilli, finely sliced
• 2 LoveLife seeded tortilla wraps, griddled
1. Preheat the oven to 200˚C, gas mark 6. On a large baking tray, toss the sweet potato wedges with 1 tbsp oil; season and spread out. Sprinkle with the paprika and roast for 30 minutes, tossing halfway.
2. Meanwhile, heat a griddle pan over a high heat. Put the remaining oil in a bowl. Rub a little oil over the sweetcorn, season and griddle for 15-18 minutes, until charred all over. Coat the salad onions in a little more of the oil and griddle around the corn for 3-4 minutes, until charred. Slice the corn kernels off the cob, then set aside with the salad onions.
3. Mix the yogurt with the zest and juice of ½ lime, Tabasco and 1 tbsp water; season. Griddle the avocado slices for a minute on each side, turning carefully; set aside and squeeze over the remaining lime juice. Put the turkey in the bowl with the remaining oil. Season and griddle for 1-2 minutes on each side, then slice into strips.
4. To build the salad, put the leaves on a large platter. Top with the sweet potato wedges, salad onions, sweetcorn, avocado, turkey and chilli. Drizzle over the dressing and serve with the tortillas, cut into wedges.