It’s worth mastering the art of making a classic white sauce. It’s a useful skill and can be used in all sorts of dishes.
Baked spaghetti pie with chorizo and tomato
300g essential Waitrose spaghetti
190g Waitrose Cooks’ Ingredients cooking chorizo, quartered
250g essential Waitrose cherry tomatoes, halved
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
25g pack flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
50g essential Waitrose parmigiano reggiano, grated
568ml essential Waitrose whole milk
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 dried bay leaf
2 thyme sprigs (optional)
½ essential Waitrose onion
70g essential Waitrose unsalted butter
40g essential Waitrose plain flour
1. Preheat the oven to 200˚C, gas mark 6. Start by preparing the milk for the white sauce. Put the milk, garlic, herbs and onion in a small pan and simmer for 10 minutes to infuse the flavours. Meanwhile, cook the spaghetti according to pack instructions, then drain, reserving a cupful of the cooking liquid.
2. Strain the milk into a large jug and wipe the pan out. Melt the butter over a medium heat and, when foaming, add the flour, whisking constantly. Slowly pour the milk into the pan, whisking continuously to avoid any lumps. Simmer for 3-5 minutes to cook out the flour. Season and set aside.
3. Fry the chorizo for 2-3 minutes in a large frying pan, then add the tomatoes and garlic and fry for another minute, until the tomatoes soften. Add the pasta to the pan along with 4 tbsp of the cooking liquid and ½ the parsley; toss everything together.
4. Tip into a large, deep baking dish, spoon over the white sauce and sprinkle with the parmigiano reggiano. Bake for 15-20 minutes, then sprinkle the remaining parsley over the top and serve, with a green salad, if liked.
This recipe first appeared in Waitrose Kitchen magazine. myWaitrose members can download the Waitrose Kitchen app edition for FREE. Find out more.
- Preparation time: 30 minutes
- Cooking time: 40 minutes
- Total time: 1 hour 10 minutes
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 8 ratings
This recipe was first published in Thu Aug 28 12:06:00 BST 2014.