It’s worth mastering the art of making a classic white sauce. It’s a useful skill and can be used in all sorts of dishes.
Baked spaghetti pie with chorizo and tomato
- Preparation time: 30 minutes
- Cooking time: 40 minutes
- Total time: 1 hour 10 minutes
300g essential Waitrose spaghetti
190g Waitrose Cooks’ Ingredients cooking chorizo, quartered
250g essential Waitrose cherry tomatoes, halved
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
25g pack flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
50g essential Waitrose parmigiano reggiano, grated
568ml essential Waitrose whole milk
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 dried bay leaf
2 thyme sprigs (optional)
½ essential Waitrose onion
70g essential Waitrose unsalted butter
40g essential Waitrose plain flour
1. Preheat the oven to 200˚C, gas mark 6. Start by preparing the milk for the white sauce. Put the milk, garlic, herbs and onion in a small pan and simmer for 10 minutes to infuse the flavours. Meanwhile, cook the spaghetti according to pack instructions, then drain, reserving a cupful of the cooking liquid.
2. Strain the milk into a large jug and wipe the pan out. Melt the butter over a medium heat and, when foaming, add the flour, whisking constantly. Slowly pour the milk into the pan, whisking continuously to avoid any lumps. Simmer for 3-5 minutes to cook out the flour. Season and set aside.
3. Fry the chorizo for 2-3 minutes in a large frying pan, then add the tomatoes and garlic and fry for another minute, until the tomatoes soften. Add the pasta to the pan along with 4 tbsp of the cooking liquid and ½ the parsley; toss everything together.
4. Tip into a large, deep baking dish, spoon over the white sauce and sprinkle with the parmigiano reggiano. Bake for 15-20 minutes, then sprinkle the remaining parsley over the top and serve, with a green salad, if liked.