A nutty wholegrain accompaniament for salmon.
Basmati pilau and seared salmon
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, finely sliced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 180g Waitrose brown basmati and wild rice
- 60g dried apricots, chopped
- 900ml chicken stock, hot
- 45g Waitrose pecans, coarsely chopped
- 45g Waitrose mixed seeds
- 4 salmon fillets
- 4 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- Over a medium-low heat, warm 2 tsp oil in a pan; sauté the onion for 8 minutes. Add the garlic, cumin and coriander and stir for 1 minute.
- Rinse the rice and add to the pan with the apricots and stock; stir. Bring to a simmer, lower the heat, cover and cook for 20–25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, warm a frying pan over a medium heat and dry-fry the nuts and seeds for 2 minutes, until they are just fragrant.
- A few minutes before the rice is done, warm 1 tsp oil in a frying pan over a medium-high heat. Season the fi sh and fry for 3 minutes skin-side down, then for 2 minutes on the other side.
- Stir the nuts, seeds and parsley into the pilau. Serve with the salmon on top and lemon wedges.
The blend of fresh citrus and light, smooth almond flavours in the wine will fit this salmon and exotic pilau perfectly.
Moncaro 2008/09 Verdicchio dei Castelli di Jesi Classico, Marche, Italy 83438
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 35 minutes
- Total time: 45 minutes
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 6 ratings
This recipe was first published in Sun Aug 01 01:00:00 BST 2010.