This is ideal for cooking a day ahead - most stews and casseroles benefit from a night in the fridge as the flavours really get a chance to develop. Pearl barley is rich in fibre and a source of B vitamins.
Beef and Barley Casserole
Extra virgin olive oil spray
800g Aberdeen Angus diced braising steak
1 large onion, roughly chopped
2 sticks celery, roughly chopped
1 large carrot, cut into cubes
1 tbsp Cooks’ Ingredients sundried tomato paste
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
200ml red wine
1 beef stock cube
1 tsp peppercorns, lightly crushed
400g can chopped tomatoes
3 thyme sprigs
2 bay leaves
75g Waitrose LOVE Life pearl barley
2 tbsp cider vinegar
Large handful of parsley, chopped
1. Spray a large casserole with olive oil spray. Add the beef, in batches, and cook until golden brown. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
2. Add the onion, celery, carrot and a splash of water to the casserole and fry for 3-4 minutes until softened. Add the sundried tomato paste and garlic and fry for a further minute.
3. Return the beef to the casserole, pour in the wine, then add the stock cube, peppercorns, 500ml boiling water, the chopped tomatoes, thyme and bay leaves. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer over a low heat for 1 ½ hours.
4. Add the pearl barley and simmer for 30 minutes until the beef and barley are very tender. Stir in the vinegar and parsley. Serve with the cabbage.
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 2 hours 15 minutes
- Total time: 2 hours 25 minutes
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 306 ratings
This recipe was first published in September 2011.