I love the idea of incorporating vegetables into desserts. The earthiness of the beets matches the chocolate brilliantly, then it’s just ‘tickled’ by the slight tang of the molasses.
Beetroot Chocolate Truffle Kisses
- Preparation time: 25 minutes, plus chilling
- Cooking time: 5 minutes
- Total time: 30 minutes, plus chilling
Makes: about 45 truffles
120g cooked beetroot (not in vinegar)
220ml double cream
320g dark chocolate (70% cocoa), cut into small chunks
3 tbsp cocoa powder, plus about 50g extra for dusting
3 tbsp pomegranate molasses
3 tbsp brandy
1. Blend the beetroot in the small bowl of a food processor until completely smooth. Bring the cream to the boil in a small pan, then add the chocolate and cocoa powder, remove from the heat and stir, until completely melted. Mix in the beetroot pureé, pomegranate molasses and brandy, until completely smooth.
2. Put the mixture in a metal bowl and set this inside another larger bowl of iced water. Stir with a whisk from time to time, scraping the side of the bowl. When the mixture is cool but not set, whisk vigorously for a few minutes to make it light and smooth.
3. Put the chocolate mixture in a piping bag fitted with a 1cm plain nozzle. Pipe little mounds (about 2.5cm in diameter) onto a large, fl at tray lined with cling fi lm. Chill until completely set (about 2-3 hours). Once set, dust the truffles with the extra 50g cocoa powder. These can be stored in the fridge for up to 5 days.