This is a quick and easy dish that’s big on flavour. I've used ingredients local to me, but I've listed alternatives readily available in the UK.
Ben O'Donaghue's Beef Pad Thai
120g Dried pad Thai Noodles (alternatively you could use Thai Taste rice noodles gueyteow)
100g Cooks’ Ingredients palm sugar
2 tbsp Waitrose Cooks’ Ingredients tamarind paste
Fish sauce to taste
3-4 tbsp sunflower oil
4 shallots, roughly chopped
2 essential Waitrose free range eggs
30g firm bean curd, diced (alternatively you could use tofu)
2 tbsp essential Waitrose cooked peeled prawns, rinsed and dried
2 tbsp ground roasted peanuts
100gm bean sprouts
½ bunch of Waitrose Cooks’ Ingredients chives
2 long dried chilli (alternatively you could use chilli flakes)
200g Wagyu flank steak (alternatively you could use Waitrose Aberdeen Angus beef dry aged sirloin steak) marinated in lime juice, white pepper and fish sauce
1. Soak the noodles for 15 minutes in water until soft – take care they don’t become overly soft. Drain the noodles well. Bring a pot of water to the boil and blanch the noodles for only a minute and drain once again.
2. Mix the palm sugar with the tamarind puree, fish sauce and 1-2 tablespoons of water and stir until dissolved.
3. Heat the oil in a wok over a medium heat. Fry the dried chilli until aromatic, then drain and crumble. Fry the shallots until fragrant and beginning to brown. Then crack in the eggs and stir until it looks a bit like an omelette.
4. Turn up the heat and add the noodles. Quickly fry for about thirty seconds whilst breaking up the egg. Add the tamarind liquid and simmer until absorbed.
Add the bean curd, dried prawns and half of the peanuts. Simmer and stir until almost dry.
6. Finally add the bean sprouts and chives and toss together. Check the seasoning - it should be salty, sweet and sour.
7. Remove to a serving dish and then in the same wok cook the beef quickly at high heat. Serve with the Pad Thai, lime, sliced fennel and chicory plus remaining peanuts and bean sprouts.
© Ben O'Donaghue
Average user rating Based on 4 ratings