Save to your scrapbook
Blackberry doughnut muffins
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
Part jammy doughnut, part sugar-dusted cake – totally irresistible
180g unsalted butter, melted
150g natural yogurt
300g self-raising flour
275g caster sugar
1 bramley apple (about 200g), peeled, cored and finely diced
100g caster sugar
1 tsp lemon juice
1. To make the jam filling, put the blackberries, apple, sugar and lemon juice in a pan over a medium heat. Stir and cook gently until the sugar has dissolved, then bring to a boil and bubble for 10-15 minutes. Take off the heat and leave to cool. The jam will look runny, but will firm up as it cools.
2. Preheat the oven to 190°C, gas mark 5. Brush the holes of a 12-hole muffin tin with 1 tbsp melted butter; leave the rest of the butter to cool slightly. Put the tin in the oven for 5 minutes to heat (not necessary if using silicone).
3. Beat together the yogurt and eggs, then stir in the remaining butter. In a large bowl, mix together the flour, 200g caster sugar and a good pinch of salt. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry, mixing well to remove any lumps.
4. Remove the muffin tin from the oven. Fill each hole 2/3 full with batter, then spoon over 1-2 tsp blackberry jam and cover with the remaining batter. Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden.
5. Cool the muffins in the tin for 2 minutes, then turn out and roll in sugar. Cool a little before eating.
Typical values per serving:
This recipe was first published in Mon Sep 22 11:27:00 BST 2014.