This British classic is easy to make and sure to be a hit with all the family.
Blackberry and apple crumble
1kg cooking apples
Juice of ½ lemon
4 tbsp granulated sugar
150g rolled oats
100g wholemeal flour
75g brown sugar
100g unsalted butter, cubed
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, gas mark 4. Wash the blackberries and remove any leaves and stalks. Peel, core and cut the apples into quarters, then halve again. Put in a large, ovenproof dish and mix with the lemon juice. Bake for 15–20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the topping. Place the rolled oats, flour, brown sugar and butter in a bowl and rub together until well mixed.
- Gently mix the blackberries and the granulated sugar in with the apple. Cover with the topping and bake for 45 minutes until golden brown. Serve warm with crème fraîche, Greek yogurt, custard or vanilla ice cream.
- Preparation time: 25 minutes
- Cooking time: 60 minutes
- Total time: 1 hour 25 minutes
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 256 ratings
This recipe was first published in Sat Sep 01 01:00:00 BST 2007.