The deep indigo colour and sweet-flavour of blueberries make them both attractive as well as good to eat. They can be used in hot or cold dishes. This quick and easy fool recipe can be made the day before and chilled in the fridge until needed.
- 250g fresh blueberries
- 50g caster sugar
- 200ml carton Waitrose Crème Fraîche
- 142ml carton Waitrose Double Cream
- Icing sugar, to taste (optional)
- Reserve a few blueberries for decoration and place the remainder in a small pan with the sugar and 1 tbsp cold water. Heat gently for 4-5 minutes, or until the sugar has melted and the juice begins to run. Cook for a further 4-5 minutes, or until the blueberries are soft. Crush with a wooden spoon and allow to cool.
- Whisk together the crème fraîche and double cream for 2-3 minutes until thick, and soft peaks form. Stir in about three quarters of the blueberries. Taste for sweetness and add a little icing sugar, if preferred.
- Lightly fold in the remaining purée to give a rippled effect and divide the fool between 4 individual serving glasses. Chill for about an hour. Decorate with a few of the reserved blueberries and serve with Duchy Original Lemon Biscuits.
- Preparation time: 10 minutes, plus cooling and chilling time
- Cooking time: 10 minutes
- Total time: 1 hour 35 minutes
Average user rating Based on 31 ratings
This recipe was first published in July 2002.