There are many variations of this burgundy-coloured soup, which reflects the Eastern European heritage of many Romany people. This one is in the Ukrainian style.
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 35 minutes
- Total time: 50 minutes
- 1.2 litres vegetable or chicken stock
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 225g raw beetroot, peeled and grated
- 500g potatoes, peeled and diced
- 600g red cabbage, shredded
- 2 large tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 onions, grated
- 4 tbsp soured cream
- 12 chives
- Put the stock and vinegar in a large pan and bring to the boil. Add the beetroot and potatoes. Simmer for 15 minutes or until the vegetables are soft. Add the cabbage and whole tomatoes.
- Cook for about 10 minutes, until the tomatoes are soft, then remove them from the pan with a slotted spoon, purée them in a liquidiser or push through a sieve, and return to the soup. Add the bay leaf and season to taste.
- Stir in the onions and cook for 20 minutes until the onions are soft. Garnish with a blob of soured cream and a few chives and serve.