This traditional Christmas favourite tastes even better if made in advance making it perfect for festive entertaining.
Braised red cabbage with apple
1 small red cabbage
1 red onion, finely sliced
1/2 tsp ground allspice
1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
1 Bramley apple, peeled, cored and grated
4 tbsp red wine vinegar
2 tbsp light brown muscovado sugar
2 tbsp redcurrant jelly
- Finely slice the cabbage, discarding the core and any tough pieces. Melt the butter in a pan with a tight-fitting lid over a medium heat. Cook the onion, uncovered, for 5 minutes until soft but not browned.
- Stir in the spices then add the cabbage, apple, vinegar and sugar plus 100ml cold water. Stir until mixed and the sugar has dissolved. Season generously.
- Bring to the boil then cover tightly and simmer for about 1 hour, stirring occasionally, until the cabbage is very tender and the liquid has evaporated. Stir in the redcurrant jelly, allow to melt, then serve.
Make up to 3 days in advance, cool, cover and keep in the fridge. Reheat in a pan with 2-3 tbsp cold water, cover and cook over a medium heat for 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until piping hot.
Make, cool, then freeze in an airtight container for up to 2 months. Defrost before reheating as above.
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Total time: 1 hour 25 minutes
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 11 ratings
This recipe was first published in Wed Nov 12 14:22:54 GMT 2014.