- 1 of your 5 a day
Braised red cabbage with apple
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: About 1 hour 10 minutes
- Total time: About 1 hour 25 minutes
1 small red cabbage
1 red onion, finely sliced
½ tsp ground allspice
¼ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
1 Bramley apple, peeled, cored and grated
4 tbsp red wine vinegar
2 tbsp light brown muscovado sugar
2 tbsp redcurrant jelly
1. Finely slice the cabbage, discarding the core and any tough pieces. Melt the butter in a pan and cook the onion for 5 minutes until soft but not browned.
2. Stir in the spices then add the cabbage, apple, vinegar and sugar plus 100ml cold water. Stir until mixed and the sugar has dissolved.
3. Bring to the boil then cover tightly and simmer for about 1 hour, stirring occasionally, until the cabbage is very tender and the liquid has evaporated. Stir in the redcurrant jelly, allow to melt, then serve.