This simple wine marinade gives your steak a robust, boisterous flavour: a little like game, curiously. Serve with a quick anchovy butter, smothered on hot toast, ideally a sourdough or crusty, country-style loaf.
Burgundy beef steaks with anchovy garlic butter
6-8 sirloin steaks (about 1.2kg in total)
1 onion, sliced
1 garlic clove, sliced
1⁄2 tsp mild chilli powder
750ml bottle red wine, preferably burgundy
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 loaf rustic or sourdough bread, sliced
5-6 anchovy fillets, drained and finely chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
125g unsalted butter, softened
1. Put the steaks in a large bowl with the onion, garlic and chilli powder; season. Pour over the wine, ensuring the meat is covered. Cover with cling film and chill for at least 4 hours, preferably overnight.
2. For the anchovy butter, beat the anchovies, garlic and butter until smooth, creamy and fawn-coloured, then season to taste.
3. To cook the steaks, discard the marinade and pat the steaks completely dry on kitchen paper. Season, coat with the oil and cook on a hot barbecue (or griddle pan) for about 4-6 minutes, turning regularly, until cooked to your liking. Rest under a sheet of foil while you toast the bread.
4. Spread the toast with anchovy butter and slice the steaks to serve alongside.
- Preparation time: 15 minutes, plus marinating
- Cooking time: 10 minutes
Serves: 6 - 8
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 3 ratings