Rosemary- and chilli-spiked rhubarb cuts through the richness of the trout beautifully.
Butter-poached trout with chilli rhubarb and almonds
100g caster sugar
1 red chilli, halved
2 rosemary sprigs
150g essential Waitroserhubarb,cut into 2.5cm pieces
50g salted butter
2 tbsp essential Waitrose white wine vinegar
½ lemon, sliced
½ x 20g pack dill, stalks and sprigs separated
140g pack kiln smoked rainbow trout fillets
large handful toasted flaked almonds
1 tbsp essential Waitrose soured cream (or natural yogurt)
1. Boil the sugar in 500ml water with the chilli and rosemary, until dissolved. Stir the rhubarb into the boiling syrup, take the pan off the heat and cover with cling film. Leave to cool for 15 minutes (or completely), then remove the rhubarb with a slotted spoon. Set both the rhubarb and syrup aside.
2. In a separate pan, heat the butter, vinegar, lemon, dill stalks and 500ml water. Once simmering, add the trout fillets and poach very gently for 5 minutes. Carefully remove the fish.
3. Divide the fish and rhubarb between plates, topping with the dill sprigs and a splash of the rhubarb syrup. Scatter over the almonds and finish with a blob of the soured cream (or yogurt). Serve, with new potatoes and lemon, if liked.
This recipe first appeared in Waitrose Kitchen magazine. myWaitrose members can download the Waitrose Kitchen app edition for FREE. Find out more.
- Preparation time: 10 minutes, plus cooling
- Cooking time: 10 minutes
- Total time: 20 minutes, plus cooling
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 5 ratings
This recipe was first published in Sun Mar 01 17:17:37 GMT 2015.