1 turkey, weight 3kg (160degrees, 2.5 hours)
125g Softened butter
Freshly Ground Pepper
Chesnut and pork sausage stuffing
Smoked Streaky Bacon
Unsmoked Streaky Bacon
Turkey - Calculate the cooking time allowing 45 minutes per kg plus 20 minutes.
Giblets for the gravy
Fresh sage, thyme and rosemary
Butter Roasted Turkey with all the trimmings
- On the day before, prepare potatoes, parsnips, carrots and sprouts. Wash turkey and giblets. Cover the vegetables with water. Crush garlic, half the onion, sage, thyme and rosemary and place in the body of the turkey. Place all into fridge.
- 10am - Open bottle of wine :) Remove turkey from the fridge to bring to room temperature. Preheat the oven to 160ºC.
- 10.10am - Make the stock - brown the giblets, onion, garlic and herbs in a saucepan. Add water, cover the pan with the lid and allow to simmer.
- 10:30 - Place butter and herbs into processor and blend. Liberally coat the trukey breast with herb butter and cover with the unsmoked bacon. Put 425ml of water into bottom of roast tray. Cover with foil.
- 11am - Place the turkey in the oven for 2 hours.
- 11.45am - Baste the turkey.
- 1pm - Remove foil from the turket for the last 35mins to allow turkey to golden.
- 1.30pm - Check that the turkey s cooked by piercing the thickest part of the thigh or breast with meat thermometer. When it reaches 70degrees and the juices run clear, it's cooked. Remove turkey from the oven and set aside to rest. Turn oven up to 190 degrees. Place goose fat into 2 roasting trays and place in the oven to come to temperature. Parboil the potatoes for 7-10mins.
- 1.45pm - Shake the potatoes around in the saucepan to roughen the edges. Gently place in the hot goose fat, garnish with rosemary and put in the oven. Place stuffing into the oven.
- 2.05pm - turn roasties and put parsnips (scattered with whole garlic cloves and pepper) into the oven. Put the kettle on for sprouts and carrots.
- 2.10pm - start gravy - remove giblets, pour turkey juice from roasting tin into saucepan, sprinkle with turkey gravy granules and stir. Place on low heat and allow to reduce.
- 2.20pm - reheat bread sauce with cream. Cook sprouts and carrots.
- 3.30pm - DONE!!! Carve, serve, eat and ENJOY!!
- Total time: 3.5hours
Average user rating Based on 7 ratings