Poppy seed, lemon and spelt flour pancakes are given an extra lift with a zingy citrus salad
Buttermilk Scotch pancakes with citrus salad
284ml carton buttermilk
2 tbsp semi-skimmed milk
2 large Waitrose British Blacktail Free Range Eggs, separated
1 tsp vanilla extract
1½ tbsp poppy seeds
1 lemon, finely grated zest and 2 tbsp juice
1 tbsp clear honey
30g unsalted butter, melted
200g spelt flour
2 tsp baking powder
For the citrus salad
1 red or pink grapefruit, peeled and cut into 1cm-thick slices
4 easy peelers, peeled and cut into 1cm-thick slices
4 Love Life Pitted Medjool Dates, sliced
1 tbsp clear honey, plus extra to serve
1. Beat together the buttermilk, milk, egg yolks, vanilla, poppy seeds, lemon zest and juice, honey, 20g of the melted butter and ½ tsp salt in a large jug.
2. Stir the spelt flour and baking powder together in a large bowl. Make a well in the centre and roughly whisk in the buttermilk mixture. There's no need to over-beat it — small lumps are fine. Set the batter aside in a cool place for 30 minutes, or chill overnight.
3. Meanwhile, stir together the sliced citrus, dates and honey. Use immediately or cover and chill for up to 8 hours, until needed.
4. When ready to cook the pancakes, whisk the egg whites in a clean mixing bowl until stiff peaks form. Fold into the batter with a metal spoon or a spatula.
5. Put a large, heavy-based frying pan over a medium heat and lightly brush a little of the remaining melted butter over the surface. Add 4 heaped tablespoons of batter to the pan, spreading each spoonful out to form a round pancake. Cook for 2 minutes, until bubbles rise to the surface, then turn and cook for a further 1–2 minutes, until golden. Transfer the pancakes to a warm plate and cover with foil while you repeat the process to make a total of 16 pancakes.
6. Serve a stack of 4 pancakes per person, with some of the citrus salad and a drizzle of honey.
- Preparation time: 20 minutes + 30 minutes resting time
- Cooking time: 10 minutes
- Total time: 30 minutes, plus 30 minutes to rest
Makes: 16 pancakes
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 0 ratings