Try this delicious meat-free lasagne. Perfect during the week or for entertaining. Use alternative cheese in place of Parmigiano Reggiano to make this a vegetarian recipe.
Butternut and tomato lasagne
- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Cooking time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Total time: 1 hour 35 minutes
2kg butternut squash
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 1/2 tbsp chopped fresh oregano
2 cloves garlic, crushed
800g can essential Waitrose Chopped Tomatoes
9 sheets dried lasagne
500g tub essential Waitrose Cheese Sauce
25g Parmigiano Reggiano, or vegetarian alternative
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, gas mark 4. Peel the squash then halve, discard the seeds and cut into 1cm pieces.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and gently fry the onion and squash for 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until the squash is beginning to colour. Add the oregano, garlic and tomatoes and cook gently for 5 minutes.
- Spoon a quarter of the butternut squash mixture into a shallow baking dish and spread in a thin layer. Cover with 3 lasagne sheets, breaking them to fit where necessary. Spoon over another quarter of the squash mixture and dot with about a third of the cheese sauce. Add another 3 lasagne sheets then half the remaining squash mixture. Arrange the rest of the lasagne sheets on top and spread with the remaining squash mixture. Top with the rest of the cheese sauce, spreading it to cover the filling.
- Scatter over the Parmigiano Reggiano and bake for 50-60 minutes until the top is golden and bubbling.