Sweet butternut and creamy ricotta make a tasty filling for this fabulous meat-free pasta dish
Butternut & ricotta cannelloni
1 small butternut squash, peeled, halved, deseeded and diced
• 2 tbsp rapeseed oil
• 6 sage leaves
• 100g ricotta cheese
• 3 tbsp Cooks' Ingredients Toasted Pine Nuts
• 75g pecorino cheese, grated
• 400g pack Waitrose Cooking Spinach (selected stores) or 400g spinach
• 25g butter, melted
• 300g pack essential Waitrose Fresh Pasta Lasagne Sheets
For the sauce
• 2 tbsp olive oil
• 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
• 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
• 680g jar essential Waitrose Passata
• 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
• 25g pack fresh basil leaves, roughly chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C, gas mark 6. Place the squash in a large roasting tin and toss with the rapeseed oil and sage leaves. Roast for 25 minutes until very tender. Mash or blitz in a food processor until smooth. Transfer to a bowl and mix in the ricotta, half the pine nuts and half the pecorino. Set aside.
2. Wash the spinach well and place in a large saucepan. Cook until completely wilted then leave to cool. Using your hands, squeeze out any excess liquid then chop roughly and set aside.
3. Brush a large baking dish or roasting tin with half the butter.
4. Cut the lasagne sheets in half to give rough squares. Cook them, in batches, in a pan of boiling water for 1 minute. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon or tongs and lay them out on a clean tea towel. To assemble the cannelloni, start by spreading a spoonful of squash mixture across the centre of each pasta sheet and top with a little chopped spinach. Roll up and place seam-side down in the baking dish or tin. Repeat with the remaining filling and pasta — you should end up with 20 filled cannelloni.
5. Brush with the remaining melted butter and sprinkle over the rest of the pecorino and pine nuts. Cover with foil and bake for 10 minutes, then remove the foil and bake for a further 10 minutes until golden and slightly crispy at the edges.
6. For the sauce, heat the olive oil in a saucepan and add the chilli and garlic. Cook for 30 seconds until pale golden then add the passata and balsamic. Simmer for 10–15 minutes then stir in the basil. Serve the cannelloni with the sauce, and extra pecorino if you wish.
Try using a pack of Waitrose Butternut Squash Wedges or Diced Butternut & Sweet Potato in place of the whole butternut.
- Preparation time: 30 minutes
- Cooking time: 50 minutes
- Total time: 1 hour 20 minutes
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 14 ratings
This recipe was first published in Fri Oct 30 14:38:00 GMT 2015.