It's the season of the winter squash - this lovely vegetable is a good source of vitamin C.
Butternut Squash Loaf
300g coarsely grated butternut squash
500g Waitrose LOVE Life multi seed malted bread mix
2 tbsp chopped sage
2 tbsp freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano
Strong white flour, for kneading
1. In a large bowl, mix together the squash, bread mix, sage and cheese. Make a well in the centre and gradually add 250ml-300ml just-warm water. Bring together to a soft dough.
2. On a lightly floured surface, knead the dough for 5 minutes until smooth and springy. Return to the bowl, cover with cling film and leave in a warm place for an hour.
3. Knead the dough briefly to knock out the air, then shape into an oval and pop into a non-stick 900g (2lb) loaf tin. Leave to rest for 30 minutes.
4. Preheat the oven to 220°C, gas mark 7. Bake the loaf for 30-40 minutes until risen, golden brown and cooked. Lift out of the tin and place on a wire rack to cool before slicing.
Tip. Don’t worry if your dough mix seems too wet while kneading, just add a touch of flour to the mix, or if it’s too dry add a splash of lukewarm water. Make sure you knead the bread for the full time, as this will enable the dough to rise properly, giving you a light, fluffy bread.
- Preparation time: 1 hour 45 minutes
- Cooking time: 30 - 40 minutes
- Total time: 2 hours 25 minutes
Makes: 1 loaf - 10 slices
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 5 ratings
This recipe was first published in September 2011.