Cappuccino loaf cake Coffee and walnut cake is an all-time favourite in the WF office, and this is our modern spin on it: a fine-textured, coffee-infused loaf topped with the silkiest whipped mascarpone frosting.
Cappuccino Loaf Cake
• 175g unsalted butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
• 5 tbsp single cream
• 2 tbsp instant coffee
• 100g golden caster sugar
• 75g light brown muscovado sugar
• 3 large eggs
• 1 tsp vanilla extract
• 175g self-raising flour
• ½ tsp fine salt
For the frosting:
• 150g mascarpone
• 5 tbsp icing sugar
• cocoa powder, for dusting
1. Preheat the oven to 170˚C, gas mark 3. Grease a 900g (2lb) loaf tin and line with baking parchment. Heat the cream and coffee in a microwave (or small pan) until warm, stir to dissolve the coffee and cool. In a separate bowl, mix 1 tsp of the coffee cream with the mascarpone for the frosting and chill until needed.
2. In a large bowl, using electric beaters, cream the butter with the two sugars for 3-4 minutes, until pale and fl uffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, followed by the vanilla and the remaining coffee cream.
3. Fold in the flour and salt until you have a smooth batter. Scrape into the tin; bake for 45-50 minutes, until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack; cool to room temperature.
4. Meanwhile, make the frosting. Sift the icing sugar over the chilled coffee mascarpone and whisk with electric beaters for 1-2 minutes, until silky; chill again until needed. Spread the frosting over the cooled cake and dust lightly with cocoa powder just before serving.
- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Cooking time: 50 minutes
- Total time: 1 hour 10 minutes
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 46 ratings
This recipe was first published in Thu Jan 21 09:20:00 GMT 2016.