This brightly coloured mash makes a delicious alternative to potato mash and a perfect accompaniment to meat and fish at any time of the year.
Carrot and swede mash with roasted garlic, parsley and walnut pesto
1 organic bulb garlic
100ml organic extra virgin olive oil
500g organic carrots, peeled and cut into 2cm cubes
600g organic swede, peeled and cut into 2cm cubes
25g organic unsalted butter
1/2 x 100g pack flat-leaf parsley
50g organic walnuts, toasted
Juice 1/2 organic lemon
- Preheat the oven to 200°C, gas mark 6. Cut the garlic bulb in half horizontally, place on a large sheet of foil, drizzle with 1 tablespoon of the oil and season with sea salt and pepper. Wrap the foil around the garlic and place on a baking sheet in the oven for 40 minutes, until golden and soft.
- Place the carrots and swede in a large pan of water and bring to the boil. Simmer for 20 minutes until soft, then drain and allow to cool in the colander for 5 minutes.
- Return the carrots and swede to a clean saucepan. Squeeze in the roasted garlic, throwing away the papery skins, and add the butter, then purée using a stick blender.
- Place the parsley, walnuts, lemon juice and remaining oil into a mini processor and whizz until smooth. Spoon the mash into a serving bowl, swirl with the pesto and serve. Scatter over some extra chopped parsley, if you wish.
- Preparation time: 15 minutes, plus cooling
- Cooking time: 40 minutes
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 7 ratings
This recipe was first published in Thu Sep 11 11:41:00 BST 2014.