A pretty salad that packs in plenty of punchy flavours. You can leave the vegetables to marinate for a couple of hours before serving, if you like, but fry the halloumi at the last minute as it’s best served warm.
Carrot, courgette and halloumi salad with ginger and sesame
- Preparation time: 15 minutes, plus marinating
- Cooking time: 10 minutes
- Total time: 25 minutes, plus marinating
Serves: 2 - 4
2 tbsp light olive oil
1 tsp toasted sesame oil
1 1⁄2 tbsp cider vinegar
1 tbsp light brown soft sugar
1 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tsp finely grated fresh root ginger
4 large carrots (about 450g), peeled
50g cashew nuts
1 tbsp sesame seeds
250g halloumi, cut into 1cm slices
1. Whisk the oils, vinegar, sugar, soy sauce and ginger together in a large bowl. Using a vegetable peeler or mandoline, peel ribbons of the courgette and carrot into the bowl; finely slice the cores. Toss in the dressing, then set aside to marinate while you prepare everything else.
2. Heat a large non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Toast the cashew nuts for 3-4 minutes, until golden; set aside. Next toast the sesame seeds for 2-3 minutes, stirring often until golden; set aside with the nuts. Fry the halloumi for 1-2 minutes on each side until golden.
3. Lift the vegetables from the dressing and put on a platter or plates. Top with the halloumi and scatter over the nuts and seeds. Serve immediately while the cheese is still warm, spooning over a little extra dressing, if liked.