The natural sweetness of carrots, packed with vitamin A, is well matched here with pumpkin seeds and sultanas.Try these scones with a herbal cuppa for a light afternoon tea.
Carrot & sultana scones
225g plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
50g essential Waitrose Olive Spread
30g golden caster sugar
100g essential Waitrose Carrots, coarsely grated and squeezed to remove excess juice
50g essential Waitrose Sultanas
25g Waitrose Pumpkin Seeds
125ml skimmed milk, plus extra for brushing
1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Heat the oven to 200ºC, gas mark 6. Sift the flour and baking powder into a large bowl and, using your fingertips, rub in the olive spread until well blended.
2. Stir in the sugar, carrots, sultanas and pumpkin seeds, then make a well in the centre and pour in the milk and vanilla extract.
3. Using a table knife, bring the mixture together to make a firm dough. Pat out to a thickness of about 2cm and, using a 6cm cutter, stamp out 8 rounds.
4. Transfer to a non-stick baking tray, brush the tops with milk and bake for 15–18 minutes, until risen and golden. Leave to cool on a wire rack before serving.
- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Cooking time: 20 minutes
- Total time: 40 minutes
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 13 ratings