Make these veggie burgers several hours in advance, or even the day before, and chill them so they have a chance to firm up a little before cooking.
Carrot, coriander and chick pea burgers
400g can chick peas
1 tbsp vegetable oil
2 onions, chopped
75g white or brown breadcrumbs
300g carrots, grated
½ x 28g pack fresh coriander, chopped
2 tsp Belazu Rose Harissa paste
1 British Blacktail Free Range egg
240g pack Waitrose Roasted Garlic Flatbread
Fragata Spanish hot peppers and soured cream, to serve
1. Drain the chick peas and crush in a food processor until almost paste-like. Tip into a bowl.
2. Heat the oil in a frying pan and gently fry the onions, stirring frequently, until soft and lightly browned. Add to the bowl with the breadcrumbs, carrots, coriander and a little seasoning.
3. Mix the harissa paste with the egg and stir well into the carrot mixture. Using your hands, shape the mixture into 6 even-sized pieces. Press each firmly into a ball and flatten into burger shapes. Chill until ready to cook.
4. Light the barbecue about 30 minutes before cooking to allow the flames to die down. Cook the flatbread according to pack instructions or by heating it on the barbecue. Cook the burgers for about 5 minutes, gently turning once, until golden. Cut the flatbread into wedges and serve with the burgers, peppers and a dollop of soured cream.
- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Cooking time: 10-15 minutes
- Total time: 30-35 minutes
Typical values per serving:
10.8g protein, 6g fibre
Average user rating Based on 14 ratings
This recipe was first published in June 2013.