Cauliflower loves spice and sweet-sharp flavours. Combined with chick peas and chicory, it makes a lively winter salad.
Cauliflower, chicory and chick pea salad
• 1 cauliflower
• pinch saffron (optional)
• 400g can chick peas, drained and rinsed
• 2 handfuls raisins
• 2 heads red chicory
• handful mint leaves
• 2 handfuls toasted blanched hazelnuts, roughly chopped
• 1 tsp ground cumin
• 1 tsp ground coriander
• 1 tsp paprika
• 1 tsp salt
• 2 garlic cloves, crushed
• 3 tsp caster sugar
• 5 tbsp red wine vinegar
• 150ml extra virgin olive oil
• 1 lemon, zest and ½ juice
• 2 red onions, finely sliced
1. Mix all of the dressing ingredients with a good grinding of pepper; set aside. Bring a pan of salted water to the boil. Separate the cauliflower into florets and add, with the saffron (if using), to the pan. Bring back to the boil, cook for 1 minute, then drain well; cool.
2. In a large bowl, mix together the cauliflower, chick peas, raisins and dressing; leave to marinate for 30 minutes. Cut the chicory widthways into 1-2cm slices and add to the bowl, together with the mint leaves and hazelnuts. Toss together and serve.
- Preparation time: 10 minutes, plus marinating
- Cooking time: 5 minutes
- Total time: 15 minutes, plus marinating
Serves: Serves 6 as a side
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 0 ratings
This recipe was first published in Thu Jan 21 09:14:00 GMT 2016.