- 25g unsalted butter
- 2 shallots
- 135g arborio rice
- 225ml champagne
- 400ml chicken stock
- 50g grated parmesan
- 1 handful of chopped herbs, such as parsley
- Melt 25g unsalted butter in a heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add two finely chopped shallots and sauté until soft and translucent.
- Add 135g arborio rice and stir for 2 minutes. Add 225ml Champagne and simmer until almost all the liquid has evaporated, stirring often.
- Add 400ml chicken or vegetable stock and simmer for about 20 minutes or until the rice is tender but still firm, stirring often. Stir in 50g freshly grated Parmesan.
- Season and fold in a handful of freshly chopped herbs (parsley, basil, thyme, tarragon and mint are good).
- Serve warm, topped with seared scallops, roast lamb or a crisp-skinned fillet of salmon.
Average user rating Based on 18 ratings
This recipe was first published in November 2005.