Your first taste of this smoky salsa will convince you that it was worth all the charring.
Charred tomato and jalapeno salsa with tortilla chips
- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Cooking time: 25 minutes
Serves: 6 as a snack
1⁄2 small onion, finely diced
1 lime, juice
5 medium vine tomatoes, halved
2 Waitrose Cooks’ Ingredients jalapeno chillies
8 garlic cloves, unpeeled
2 tbsp roughly chopped coriander leaves, plus extra to serve
1 tbsp chipotle paste
320g pack corn and wheat tortillas
2 tbsp vegetable oil
pinch sweet smoked paprika
1. Stir the onion into the lime juice and set aside to soak. Preheat the grill to high. Place the tomatoes cut-side up in a shallow baking tray lined with foil, then season. Grill on the top rack of the oven until blackened – about 10 minutes. Set aside and heat the oven to 220 ̊C, gas mark 7.
2. Meanwhile, heat a dry, non-stick heavy-based frying pan and gently cook the jalapenos and garlic, turning over a low-medium heat for about 10 minutes, or until blackened on all sides. Put in a plastic bag to steam for a few minutes, then peel. Deseed the jalapenos; discard the stems.
3. Finely chop the jalapeno and garlic flesh with the tomatoes and coriander leaves, then mix with the chipotle paste until smooth (or pulse in a food processor). Transfer to a serving bowl and stir in the onion and lime juice; season.
4. Brush the tortillas on both sides with the oil and cut into shards. Spread in a single layer on a large baking sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes, until golden. Season with salt and paprika and serve with the salsa, scattered with a little extra coriander.