80g soft cheese
½ x 25g pack chives, finely chopped
60g Parmigiano Reggiano, grated
7 sundried tomatoes, roughly chopped
2 x 320g ready rolled Jus-Rol Puff Pastry Sheets
1 medium Waitrose British Blacktail Free Range Egg yolk
1-2 tbsp nigella seeds
Flour for dusting your knife
Cheese & chive pastry straws
- Preparation time: 15 minutes + chilling
- Cooking time: 15-20 minutes
- Total time: 30-35 minutes + chilling
80g soft cheese
1. Blend the soft cheese, chives, Parmigiano Reggiano, sundried tomatoes and a generous grinding of black pepper until smooth in a small food processor.
2. Gently unroll the 2 packs of pastry to leave you with 2 large sheets that measure about 33cm x 24cm. Spread the mixture evenly over 1 side of 1 of the sheets of pastry, leaving a rough 1.5cm border around all edges. Gently place the second sheet on top of the mixture to make a pastry sandwich.
3. Brush the top of the pastry with the egg yolk and scatter the nigella seeds evenly over the whole sheet. Place the sheet in to the fridge for 20 minutes.
4. Preheat the oven to 180°C, gas mark 4. Take the pastry from the fridge and trim the edges to give you squared-off sides. Using a lightly floured sharp knife slice the pastry lengthways into 16 thin pieces. Carefully take each strip one at a time, lay on to a baking sheet lined with parchment and twist. Repeat the process with the remaining strips.
5. If you only have 1 baking sheet you will probably have to cook the strips in 2 batches. Bake the twists for 15-20 minutes until golden, puffed and cooked.