Comfort food at its best - layers of potato and striking pink beetroot are cooked in a savoury mixture flavoured with cheese, horseradish and dill.
Cheese and Potato Bake with Beetroot and Horseradish
- Butter, for greasing
- 200ml tub Waitrose Crème Fraîche
- 4 medium eggs
- 1 tbsp The English Provender Co. Hot Horseradish
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh dill
- 750g potatoes, such as Waitrose Desiree, peeled and sliced thinly
- 250g pack Waitrose Grated Medium English Cheddar
- 200g beetroot (approx 2 medium), peeled and sliced thinly
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, gas mark 4. Butter a 20cm round springform tin and line the base with baking parchment.
- In a bowl, whisk the crème fraîche, eggs, horseradish and dill together.
- Layer half of the potato into the base of the prepared tin. Season and scatter over a third of the Cheddar.
- Top with the beetroot slices then more seasoning and another third of the cheese. Finish with the remaining potato slices and more seasoning. Place on a baking tray and pour the crème fraîche mixture over the top. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Cover the tin with foil and bake in the oven for 1 hour then remove the foil and continue cooking for a further 45 minutes or until golden and tender when tested with the tip of a sharp knife. Remove from the oven and leave to rest for at least 15 minutes before turning out and cutting into wedges to serve.
Slice all of the potatoes first and set them aside in a bowl of cold water before preparing the beetroot. This will stop the potatoes turning completely pink from the beetroot juice, which may affect the appearance of the end dish.
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 105 minutes
- Total time: 2 hours plus at least 15 mins resting
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 45 ratings
This recipe was first published in Mon Dec 01 00:00:00 GMT 2008.