This moreish picnic bread is great served warm – children will love dunking it into fresh dips such as houmous or guacamole.
Cheesy Picnic Bread With Pepperoni And Tomatoes
- 500g pack Wright’s Parmesan & Sun Dried Tomato Bread Mix
- 125g pack Garofalo Mozzarella di Bufala Campana, drained and roughly torn
- ½ x 140g pack Waitrose Pepperoni
- 100g baby plum tomatoes, halved and deseeded
- ½ x 25g pack fresh basil, roughly torn
- Preheat the oven to 220C, gas mark 7. Make up the bread mix following the pack instructions and knead until the dough is smooth. Leave to rest for 5 minutes.
- Roll out the dough to a 30cm x 40cm oblong, then cut in half lengthways. Scatter the mozzarella pieces, pepperoni, tomatoes and basil over both halves. Working from the longest side, tightly roll up each piece of dough.
- Place the two rolls on a lightly greased baking tray and cover with cling film. Leave in a warm place for about 40 minutes until the dough has doubled in size.
- Remove the cling film and cook in the centre of the oven for 30-35 minutes until the bread is well risen, golden and the base sounds hollow when tapped. Allow to cool slightly on a cooling rack before slicing and serving warm. Enjoy with dips such as guacamole or houmous, plus Chantenay carrots and sticks of sweet pepper, celery and cucumber.
This bread is best eaten the day it is made. If taking on a picnic, keep the bread warm by wrapping in a double layer of foil soon after removing from the oven.
Our children’s recipe cards provide 50 per cent or less of the Guideline Daily Amount (GDA) of calories, fat, saturated fat, salt and sugar for children aged 5-10 years.Our children’s recipe cards provide 50 per cent or less of the Guideline Daily Amount (GDA) of calories, fat, saturated fat, salt and sugar for children aged 5-10 years.
- Preparation time: 10 mins, plus 45 mins proving
- Cooking time: 30 minutes to 35 minutes
- Total time: 1 hour 25 minutes to 1 hour 30 minutes, including proving
Makes: 12 portions
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 52 ratings
This recipe was first published in Sun Jul 01 01:00:00 BST 2007.