2 red onions
2 x 350g packs Waitrose Diced Butternut & Sweet Potato
1 tbsp olive oil
250g chestnut mushrooms, halved
2 tbsp brandy
1 tbsp chopped thyme
200ml crème fraîche
Large pinch freshly grated nutmeg
375g puff pastry block
Plain flour, for dusting
1 medium Waitrose British Blacktail Free Range Egg, lightly beaten
Chestnut mushroom & red onion pies
- Preparation time: 35 minutes
- Cooking time: 25 minutes
- Total time: 50 minutes
2 red onions
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C, gas mark 6. Cut 1 onion into thin wedges and place in a roasting tin with the butternut and sweet potato. Toss with the oil and roast for 15 minutes, then stir in the mushrooms and cook for 10 minutes more. Remove from the oven and divide the mixture between 4 individual pie dishes.
2. Place the tin on the hob, add 2 tbsp water, the brandy and thyme and bring to the boil, scraping any caramelised bits off the bottom. Add the crème fraîche, bring to a simmer and stir in the nutmeg. Divide between the pie dishes.
3. Raise the oven temperature to 220°C, gas mark 7. Cut the pastry into 4 and roll out each piece on a lightly floured surface until slightly larger than the dish. Brush the rims of the dishes with egg, sit the pastry on top, trim the edges and press with a fork to seal. Glaze the tops with egg and pierce the centre for steam to escape. Cut the remaining onion into rings and arrange on top.
4. Bake the pies for 25 minutes until golden brown and piping hot.