LOVE life: 2 of your 5 a day
Chicken, leek and sweet potato soup
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp unsalted butter
6 chicken thigh fillets (500g)
3 leeks, sliced
2 sweet potatoes (600g), cut into 3cm chunks
3 thyme sprigs
500ml fresh chicken stock
½ lemon juice
handful chopped flat leaf parsley, to garnish
1. Heat the oil and butter in large pan over a medium-high heat. Season the chicken and fry (in batches if necessary) for 3-4 minutes on each side, until golden. Remove from the pan and set aside.
2. Reduce the heat to medium-low and add the leeks to the pan; cover and sweat for 5 minutes. Stir in the sweet potato and cook for another 5 minutes. Add the thyme, nestle the chicken on top and add the stock. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally. The sweet potato should break down to make a thick sauce.
3. Uncover and cook for another 20 minutes. Turn off the heat, stir in the lemon juice and season. Shred and stir in the chicken, then divide the soup between bowls, topping each with a little parsley.
This recipe first appeared in Waitrose Kitchen magazine. myWaitrose members can download the Waitrose Kitchen app edition for FREE. Find out more.
- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Cooking time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Total time: 1 hour 50 minutes
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 21 ratings
This recipe was first published in Wed Oct 01 14:11:00 BST 2014.