Serve in ramekins with raisin bread and sharp cornichons to cut through the richness. It’s best made a day ahead, and you can use brandy instead of sherry.
Chicken liver parfait
• 200g chicken livers, trimmed of any gristle and cut into 2cm pieces
• 60g unsalted butter, cut into 15g pieces
• 1 small shallot, finely chopped
• 2 sage leaves, shredded
• ½ tsp pink peppercorns, crushed
• pinch ground allspice
• 50ml oloroso sherry
• 2 tbsp double cream
• ½ tsp lemon juice
• ½ tsp caster sugar
• 75g unsalted butter
• 1 tsp pink peppercorns, crushed
1. Put a frying pan over a medium-high heat; pat the chicken livers dry and season. Add 15g butter to the pan, then sear the livers for 3 minutes on one side and 1 minute on the other. Toss occasionally for another 3 minutes, until cooked through. Set aside on a plate.
2. Over a medium-low heat, add 15g butter, the shallot and sage to the pan. Season and fry gently for 5 minutes, until starting to caramelise. Add the peppercorns and allspice; sauté for 1 minute. Tip in the sherry and simmer until reduced by half, then stir in the cream, lemon juice and sugar. Return the livers and any resting juices to the pan, stirring everything together, then take off the heat and set aside to cool for 15 minutes.
3. Whizz in a blender with 30g butter until smooth. Add more salt, pepper, lemon juice and sugar to taste. Pass through a fine sieve; spoon into ramekins and smooth the tops.
4. For the clarified butter, warm the butter gently in a pan. Once melted, the milk solids should sink to the bottom. Skim off any scum. Pour a spoonful of the clear butter over each of the parfaits, sprinkle with the crushed peppercorns, then top each with another spoonful of butter. Cool to room temperature and chill. Store in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Preparation time: 10 minutes, plus cooling and chilling
- Cooking time: 15 minutes
- Total time: 25 minutes, plus cooling and chilling
Serves: Serves 2 as a starter
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 0 ratings
This recipe was first published in Thu Jan 21 10:48:40 GMT 2016.