This spicy African-style dish contains nutty-flavoured wholegrain rice, which makes a nice change from white basmati, and is bound to be popular with the whole family.
Chicken & pepper jollof rice
1 tbsp sunflower oil
8 chicken thighs
1 large onion, finely sliced
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 tbsp ground allspice
3cm piece fresh ginger, finely chopped
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tbsp tomato purée
1 pack Waitrose 2 Sweet Peppers, deseeded and sliced
250g cherry tomatoes
150g Tilda Wholegrain Brown Basmati Rice
750ml chicken stock
25g pack parsley, chopped
1 lemon, cut into wedges
1. Heat the sunflower oil in a large deep frying pan and gently cook the chicken for 15 minutes until the skin is crisp and golden. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
2. Add the onion to the pan and cook for about 5-6 minutes until beginning to soften and turn golden. Stir in the garlic, allspice, ginger, coriander and cayenne and cook for just a minute longer.
3. Stir in the tomato purée and cook for 1 minute, then add the peppers, tomatoes, rice and stock. Cover with the lid and simmer for 30 minutes, then return the chicken to the pan and cook for a further 10-15 minutes or until the rice is tender and the chicken is completely cooked through with no pink meat. Sprinkle over the parsley and serve with the lemon wedges to squeeze over.
If serving this dish to young children, swap the cayenne pepper for sweet smoked paprika.
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 70 minutes
- Total time: 1 hour 25 minutes
Average user rating Based on 42 ratings
This recipe was first published in Wed Dec 21 14:09:54 GMT 2016.