Sticky, irresistible party nibbles that are low in saturated fat
Chicken yakitori mini skewers
1 pack essential Waitrose British Chicken 6 Thigh Fillets, about 600g, cubed
1 pack trimmed leeks, cut into 4cm lengths
1 tbsp sunflower oil
4 tbsp Cooks’ Ingredients Mirin Rice Wine
4 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp rice or white wine vinegar
1 tbsp caster sugar
2 tsp cornflour
1 tsp finely grated fresh ginger
1 tbsp sesame seeds
1. Thread the chicken and leek alternately onto 18-20 short bamboo skewers (or snip longer ones in half). You should have 2 cubes of chicken and 1 piece of leek on each. Brush lightly with oil and arrange on a foil-lined grill pan.
2. Preheat the grill to medium. Cook the skewers for 7-8 minutes on each side until nicely browned and completely cooked through with no pink meat. Drain off any excess liquid.
3. Meanwhile, for the yakitori sauce, place the mirin, soy sauce, vinegar, sugar, cornflour and ginger in a small pan. Cook gently, stirring for 2-3 minutes, until bubbling and thickened.
4. Brush the chicken with the yakitori sauce and sprinkle over the sesame seeds. Return to the grill for a further 1-2 minutes until the seeds are toasted. Transfer to a platter and serve warm.
The mirin in this recipe can be swapped for a medium sherry such as Waitrose Medium Dry Amontillado.
- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Cooking time: 20-25 minutes
- Total time: 40-45 minutes
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 0 ratings
This recipe was first published in Wed Nov 16 09:34:07 GMT 2016.