In an ideal world, the chicken and stock would come from a roast, but if life gets in the way, good quality, ready-made stock and bought cooked chicken will do nicely.
Chicken, lemon and tarragon risotto
- 8 Smoked streaky bacon rashers
- 1.2 litres Chicken or Vegetable stock
- 50g Unsalted butter
- 4 Shallots, finely chopped
- 320g Risotto rice (ideally vialone nano)
- 200g Cooked chicken, shredded or chopped
- 1 Lemon, finely grated zest and juice of half
- 3 tsp Chopped tarragon
- 3 tbsp Finely grated parmesan
- Lay the streaky bacon out flat in a cold frying pan. Cook undisturbed over a medium heat for 2 minutes, then turn and cook for 2–3 minutes more, until crisp. Set aside on kitchen paper.
- Bring the stock to the boil in a large saucepan, then reduce the heat to low. Melt 25g butter in another large pan and add the shallots. Cook over a low heat for 5 minutes, until translucent. Add the rice and stir for 1 minute so it’s coated in butter. Add a ladleful of stock, stirring until there is little excess liquid left in the pan. Keep adding stock, stirring frequently, for 15 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken and add stock for another 3–4 minutes. Remove from the heat and fold in the remaining butter with the lemon zest and juice, 2 tsp tarragon and the parmesan; season. Cover and leave to rest for 2 minutes. Serve with pieces of the bacon and a sprinkle of tarragon.
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 30 minutes
- Total time: 40 minutes
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 46 ratings
This recipe was first published in July 2009.