2 tbsp oil
2 rashers smoked streaky bacon, cut into 1cm slices
1 tbsp chopped thyme
4 leeks, trimmed, washed and sliced (about 1kg)
400g pack British Chicken Breast Chunks
25g plain flour
500ml hot chicken stock
2 tbsp crème fraîche
100g whole chestnuts, crumbled 375g pack Jus-Rol All Butter Puff Pastry
1 medium egg, beaten
Chicken and leek pie
2 tbsp oil
1. Preheat the oven to 200ºC, gas mark 6. Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a frying pan and fry the bacon and thyme for 1-2 minutes. Add the leeks and fry gently for 10 minutes, then set aside.
2. In the same pan, heat the remaining oil and fry the chicken for 10 minutes, add the leeks and season to taste. Stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute. Gradually blend in the stock and bring to the boil, then simmer for 1-2 minutes. Stir in the crème fraîche and chestnuts and transfer to an ovenproof dish approx 25cm square.
3. Roll out the pastry to the same dimension as the dish and place on top, tucking the edges inside the dish. Brush with beaten egg. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden.
Try using leftover cooked turkey instead of chicken.
- Preparation time: 25 minutes
- Cooking time: 30-35 minutes
- Total time: 55-60 minutes
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 59 ratings
This recipe was first published in Mon Dec 17 11:16:00 GMT 2012.