This colourful medley of crunchy vegetables makes great side for all sorts of summer dishes.
Chicory salad with poppy seed dressing
100g fresh podded peas
250g pack chicory
½ x 200g pack radishes
2 ripe avocados
Finely grated zest and juice 1 lemon
1 tbsp poppy seeds
3 tbsp cold-pressed rapeseed oil
1 tbsp cider vinegar
1 tsp light honey
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- Blanch the peas in a large pan of boiling water for 1 minute, then refresh under cold running water. Drain well and set aside.
- Trim the chicory and separate the leaves. Peel the cucumber, cut in half lengthways and remove the seeds with a teaspoon, then slice thinly. Using a mandolin or sharp knife, thinly slice the radishes. Halve the avocados and remove the stones and skin. Cut the flesh into slices then toss into a bowl with the lemon zest and juice.
- Warm a small frying pan over a medium heat. Add the poppy seeds and toast for about 2–3 minutes or until starting to pop. Remove from the pan and set aside to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, whisk the oil, vinegar, honey and mustard together until thick, then add the toasted poppy seeds and some seasoning. Gently toss all of the vegetables in the dressing and serve immediately.
- Preparation time: 25 minutes
- Cooking time: 4-6 minutes
Serves: 4, as a side
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 12 ratings
This recipe was first published in Wed May 20 15:56:46 BST 2015.