The chipotle paste gives this dish a hot, smoky Mexican flavour. Starting the pork in the oven and finishing it on the barbecue makes it ideal for summer.
Chipotle Barbecued Pork with Sweet Potato Wedges
- 4 x 175g-200g pork belly slices, from the meat service counter
- ½ x 680g jar Waitrose Tomato Passata with Chopped Garlic and Onion
- 2 tsp Discovery Mexican Chipotle Paste
- 3 tbsp cider vinegar
- 75g light brown soft sugar
- 2 tbsp tomato ketchup (optional)
- For the Cajun sweet potato wedges:
- 4 medium sweet potatoes (about 1kg), scrubbed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp Bart Cajun Seasoning
- Place the barbecue sauce ingredients in a medium sized pan, stir gently and bring to the boil. Simmer for 5 minutes until the sugar has dissolved. Allow to cool.
- Light the barbecue (if using) and preheat the oven to 190°C, gas mark 5. Roll each pork belly slice up and secure each roll in place with 2 metal skewers. Place in a shallow ovenproof dish and pour the sauce over. Turn to coat.
- Cover the pork with foil and place in the oven for 20 minutes, then turn and cook for a further 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut each sweet potato into 8 long wedges and place in a roasting tin. Mix the oil and Cajun seasoning together, drizzle over the wedges and toss well to coat completely. Place in the oven for 25-30 minutes, turning once, until the potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork. Alternatively cook on the edge of a barbecue for 25-30 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Place the pork slices under a preheated hot grill or on the barbecue and cook for 5 minutes each side, basting with the sauce, until golden and crispy. Remove skewers, serve with sweet potato wedges and a fresh watercress salad.
For extra flavour, marinate the pork in the sauce for 3-4 hours or overnight in the fridge. If you like a really spicy flavour, add a little more chipotle paste.
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 1 minutes
- Total time: 1 hour 10 minutes
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 26 ratings
This recipe was first published in Sun Jun 01 01:00:00 BST 2008.