A showstopping cake with a fudgy, banana crumb, slick of decadent icing and Daim bar crown.
Chocolate banana bundt with salted caramel frosting
200g unsalted butter at room temperature, plus extra to grease
50g cocoa powder, plus extra for dusting
4 ripe medium bananas
3 tbsp soured cream
2 tsp vanilla extract
75g caster sugar
100g light brown muscovado sugar
4 large eggs, lightly beaten
225g plain flour
50g corn flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
75g miniature Daim bars (or dark chocolate), finely chopped, plus extra to decorate
200g light brown muscovado sugar
75g unsalted butter
100ml double cream
25g dark chocolate, chopped
1⁄2 tsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 190 ̊C, gas mark 5. Melt 2 tsp butter and use to brush the inside of a 2.5 litre bundt tin, getting into all the nooks and crannies. Dust with cocoa, covering every surface, then hold the tin upside-down and tap to get rid of the excess. Mash the bananas with a fork until smooth, add the soured cream and vanilla; set aside.
2. Tip the caster and muscovado sugars and 200g butter into the bowl of a freestanding mixer; beat well until pale and light – about 3-4 minutes. Gradually add the egg, scraping the sides of the bowl with a spatula as you go. Now add the banana mixture, flour, corn flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, 50g cocoa and a pinch of salt, mixing to combine thoroughly.
3. Fold the chopped Daim bars (or chocolate) into the mixture, then spoon into the tin. Level with the back of a spoon and bake on the middle shelf of the oven for 30-40 minutes, until well risen and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Leave to cool in the tin for 2-3 minutes, then turn out onto on a wire rack and leave to cool completely.
4. For the icing, gently heat the sugar, butter and cream in a small saucepan until dissolved. Bring to the boil and simmer for 30 seconds. Remove from the heat, add the chocolate, vanilla and a large pinch of salt and stir until silky smooth; leave to cool for 5-10 minutes.
5. Carefully spoon the icing over the cooled cake, allowing it to drizzle over the sides. Leave to set for a few minutes before scattering the top of the cake with more chopped Daim bars. Leave to set completely before serving.
- Preparation time: 25 minutes, plus cooling and setting
- Cooking time: 45 minutes
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 9 ratings