Chocolate cake is always a favourite and this one is made with unrefined light muscovado sugar and ground almonds which add a rich flavour. It’s topped with chocolate ganache to create an impressive celebration cake.
Chocolate ganache cake
For the filling:
150g Country Life Butter
150g Billington’s Light Brown Muscovado Sugar
200g plain chocolate, broken into small chunks
200g ground almonds
6 medium Waitrose British Blacktail Free Range Eggs, separated
4 tbsp brandy or milk
For the ganache:
200g plain chocolate
200ml double cream
1. Preheat the oven to 150°C, gas mark 2. Base line 2 x 20cm sandwich tins with non-stick baking parchment.
2. Melt the butter, sugar and chocolate in a pan until melted. Cool slightly and fold in the almonds, egg yolks and brandy or milk.
3. Whisk the egg whites until they hold stiff peaks and fold into the chocolate mixture. Pour into the tins and bake for 40-45 minutes until firm. Cool slightly before turning out onto wire racks. Discard the paper and allow to cool.
4. Meanwhile, make the ganache by melting the chocolate and cream in a bowl over a pan of simmering water until melted. Whisk until glossy and thickened and allow to cool.
5. Place one half of the cake upside down on a serving plate, spread with ¼ of the ganache and put the other cake on top. Spread the rest of the ganache on the top and sides with a palate or round bladed knife until smooth and shiny.
Country Life butter is made exclusively using milk from British dairy farms. The milk is then churned to give our butter its deliciously creamy taste.
- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Cooking time: 40 minutes to 45 minutes
- Total time: 1 hour to 1 hour 5 minutes
Serves: 6 - 8
Typical values per serving:
per serving for 8
Average user rating Based on 21 ratings
This recipe was first published in Wed Oct 15 10:36:00 BST 2014.